Monday, August 16, 2010

The Noodle Man - Lan Zhou La Mian

On Smith Street in China Town (Singapore), amidst the many shop houses, tucked away behind the food court, half way down the block, hidden by other stalls and tables, in a tiny room (you ready?) is a well known, but hidden little gem.  When you walk in, be prepared to be unimpressed with the place, but be just as prepared to eat a delicious meal of Chinese Dumplings, Fried Rice, and best of all - the hand made noodles.

Referred to as the 'noodle man', he is famous for his home-made, hand pulled (not run through a machine and cut) yummy noodles.  Articles have been written about him, most people in China Town can direct you to him and his place is often jam-packed with people awaiting an extraordinary meal served in his modest restaurant.  Don't let the surroundings fool you.  It is well worth stepping into this little nook to sample the yummy food. Follow the line of people to his place.

A lot of people eat there, in fact, a lot of people go in, partake in the delicious meal and then have their picture taken with him:



A lot of people have their picture taken with him - in fact the pictures make a nice wallpaper!



Articles have been written about him:



International Travel Cooking shows have had specials on him and most of all - it is well worth the rave - the food is delicious!


Have I not convinced you yet?

Take a look at my favorites:
The steamed dumplings with a juicy filling of a savory meat and hot broth:



Pan Fried Dumplings also known as 'pot stickers':



And the Chicken Fried Rice is chock full of goodness:



The noodles I forgot to get a picture of (go figure) but I did get a picture of one of the workers painstakingly pulling the noodles:



My hubby had them when he went and he loved them.  I had them the first time, but I always go for the dumplings - I do love the noodles - but the dumplings are my favorite.  I don't know anyone in town that can top the flavor of these!


You really have to study the menu:



And I don't know what happened to my receipt (imagine me losing it) - but it was all in Chinese anyway.  I had to ask what I owed - I was clueless as to what it said  ;-)  but that is ok - I am in China Town after all.

Clueless as to what to order?  Don't worry - go in and they will walk you through it.  They are great at helping you pick what to order.   Hint:  It is always fun to go with a group and order several different things and share  :-)


Michelle (hi Michelle!) and I had a great visit while eating.  I almost forgot to ask for a picture with the noodle man.  Unfortunately, we did not get one of the famous pictures with him.  Heck, I don't know where he would plaster it on the wall anyway!



This is the sign to look for:



As I said, you will be unimpressed with the size of the place, but go in anyway - don't miss this one!



Here is the information to get you there:

#19 Smith Street (the street with all the hawker stands)
China Town, Singapore  058933
Telephone:  6327-1286

Tell 'em cajunsis sent you!

Heck, I might be there waiting... or eating  :-)

2 comments:

Noelle Reese said...

YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish I was there! I LOVE LOVE LOVE everything you shared a picure of!

Cajunrose said...

Did we eat there? Is this the place next to the tea shop? I am thinking not.